[This was written by Tabernacle of David teacher Ryan White, and was originally posted at Rooted In Torah.]
Torah Portion Nitzavim
Deuteronomy 29:10 – 30:20
Isaiah 61:10 – 63:9
This week marks the 7th and final of the Haftarah’s of consolation. This week we will focus on the concept of a watchman spoken of in Isa 62 and its importance for us today as our duty as servants of the Great King.
This week’s Haftarah portion is opened up to non-members as well so please feel free to share the link with anyone who may enjoy it.
This year we will be spending approximately one hour on each of the Haftarah portions and investigating them from their historical setting and their ancient Near Eastern context as well as making connections back to the Torah Portion. I pray that you will enjoy these teachings!
Recommended Reading list:
- The JPS Bible Commentary: Haftarot by Michael Fishbane]
- The IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament by John Walton
- Honor, Patronage, Kinship and Purity by David DeSilva
- Ancient Near Eastern Texts by James Pritchard
- Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
- The Gods Išum and Ḫendursanga: Night Watchmen and Street-lighting in Babylonia