Editor’s note: This post originally appeared on Think Apologetics. Tabernacle of David considers this resource trustworthy and Biblically sound.
When I was a new Christian, I read several Christian apologetic books that stated there are over 300 Messianic prophecies that are all fulfilled in Jesus. At the time I thought this was a convincing evidential apologetic for the truth claims of our faith. But as the years have gone by, I have realized this approach to Messianic prophecy is not as effective as one might think. Now please let me clarify: I do think there is Messianic prophecy. Prophecy was one of the primary ways the apostles spread the faith in the first century. However, I think we need to tweak our approach. I think these resources can help.
- Bird, Michael. Are You the One Who Is to Come?: The Historical Jesus and the Messianic Question. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2009.
- Bock, Darrell L. and Mitch Glaser. The Gospel According to Isaiah 53: Encountering the Suffering Servant in Jewish and Christian Theology. Grand Rapids: Kregel Academic & Professional, 2012.
- Bock, Darrell L., Herbert W. Bateman and Gordon H. Johnston. Jesus the Messiah: Tracing The Promises, Expectations, And Coming Of Israel’s King. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2012. Synopsis of book from Amazon: “Few books have sought to exhaustively trace the theme of Messiah through all of Scripture, but this book does so with the expert analysis of three leading evangelical scholars. For the Bible student and pastor, Jesus the Messiah presents a comprehensive picture of both scriptural and cultural expectations surrounding the Messiah, from an examination of the Old Testament promises to their unique and perfect fulfillment in Jesus life.”
- Doukhan, J. On The Way To Emmaus: Five Major Messianic Prophecies Explained. Clarksville, MD: Lederer Books, 2012.
- Patai, Raphael. The Messiah Texts. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1986.
- Porter, Stanley. The Messiah in the Old and New Testaments McMaster New Testament Studies. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Juel, Donald. Messianic Exegesis. Philadelphia: Augsburg Fortress Publishers, 2009.
- Groningen, Gerard Van. Messianic Revelation in the Old Testament, Vol 1&2. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1990.
- Boyrian, D. The Jewish Gospels: The Story of the Jewish Christ. New York, NY: New Press, 2012.
- Brown, Michael L. Answering Jewish Objections to Jesus (Volumes 2-5). San Francisco: Purple Pomegranate Productions, 2010.
- Fruchtenbaum, A.G. Messianic Christology: A Study of Old Testament Prophecy Concerning the First Coming of the Messiah. Tustin CA: Ariel Ministries, 1998.
- Kaiser, Jr., Walter C. The Messiah in the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1995.
- Chabot, Eric. The Resurrection of the Jewish Messiah. 2019.
- Chabot. Eric. Is Yeshua the Jewish Messiah? 2020.
- Novenson, M. V. The Grammar of Messianism: An Ancient Jewish Political Idiom and Its Users. Oxford University Press, 2017.