Editor’s note: This post originally appeared on David’s Tent, a ministry of Israeli believers Avner and Rachel Boskey. The Boskey’s have ministered at Tabernacle of David, and we consider them trustworthy and Biblically sound.
The God of Jacob wants the Jewish people to remember. Moses instructed Israel:
- If you say in your heart, ‘These nations are greater than I; how can I dispossess them?’ – you are not to be afraid of them. You shall remember well what YHVH your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt: the great trials which your eyes saw and the signs and the wonders, and the mighty hand and the outstretched arm by which YHVH your God brought you out. YHVH your God will do the same to all the peoples of whom you are afraid (Deuteronomy 7:17-19)
YHVH tells His people to remember how in the past God gave them military victory over their enemies, in order that the whole nation would be encouraged in faith as they move in to defeat their present enemies.
- God, we have heard with our ears – our fathers have told us – the work that You did in their days, in the days of old. You with Your own hand drove out the nations. Then You planted them. You afflicted the peoples; then You let them go free. For by their own sword they did not possess the land, and their own arm did not save them – but Your right hand and Your arm and the light of Your presence, for You favored them. You are my King, God! Command victories for Jacob! Through You we will push back our adversaries. Through Your name we will trample down those who rise up against us. For I will not trust in my bow, nor will my sword save me. But You have saved us from our adversaries, and You have put to shame those who hate us (Psalm 44:1-7)
Remembering in the key to redemption
Remembrance is the key to moving in exploits of faith. Rabbi Nachman of Breslov once said that “Forgetfulness leads to exile, but remembering is the key to redemption.” This principle is fleshed out by the German philosopher G.W. Hegel: “What experience and history teach is this – that nations and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted upon any lessons they might have drawn from it” (Georg Wilhelm Hegel, Lectures on the Philosophy of History, 1832).
Yeshua exhorted His own disciples to remember and learn from events they themselves had seen and experienced: “And Yeshua . . . said to them . . . ‘Do you not yet comprehend or understand? Do you still have your heart hardened? Having eyes, do you not see? And having ears, do you not hear? And do you not remember?’” (Mark 8:17-19)
The Apostle Peter adds his ‘amen’ to the discussion: “I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of a reminder, to remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets” (1 Peter 3:1-2).
What are we supposed to remember at this time?
“So that the name of Israel will be no longer remembered”
The prophetic Psalm 83 reflects ancient hatred, both against the God of Israel and the people of Jacob. There are clear genocidal goals of these nations, which include:
Edom [Palestinians and southern Jordan]
Ishmael [Saudi Arabia]
Moab [central Jordan]
the Hagrites [Arabs]
Ammon [also central Jordan]
Amalek (here they appear again!]
Philistia [includes the territory of Gaza]
Assyria [northern Iraq]
- For behold: Your enemies make an uproar, and those who hate You have exalted themselves. They make shrewd plans against Your people and conspire together against Your treasured ones. They have said, “Come, and let’s wipe them out as a nation, so that the name of Israel will no longer be remembered.” For they have conspired together with one mind; they make a covenant against You: the tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites, Moab and the Hagrites; Gebal, Ammon, and Amalek, Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre; Assyria also has joined them. They have become a help to the children of Lot. Selah (Psalm 83:4-8)
People in the Middle East often have long memories; their history requires them to remember past hatreds and slaughters. And so it is in our day as well.
Remembering our shrewd enemies
The news cycle moves so quickly, often with coverage that does not give the reader tools to understand events. Here are three newsletters from the past years which give essential background, history and goals of Hamas, Qatar and Saudi Arabia:
The February 4, 2006 newsletter reveals the origins of Hamas; what they believe and their jihadi strategy in their own words; and how both Iran and Qatar are their main supporters: https://davidstent.org/hurtling-through-the-fog-of-war-a-messianic-perspective-on-the-new-hamastan/
The December 5, 2022 newsletter shines a spotlight on the darkness surrounding the Gulf state of Qatar – America’s supposed ‘ally’ while it remains the main bankroller of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas, the Taliban, Al-Jazeera TV [a propaganda front for Hamas], etc.: https://davidstent.org/strong-horses-and-lion-cubs/
The September 14, 2020 newsletter uncovering Saudi Arabia’s machinations to weaken and dismember Israel; American willingness to speed that process along, and the connection between that and the 9/11 Islamist jihadi terror attacks in America: https://davidstent.org/saudis-rose-gardens-and-genesis-123-an-update-on-9-11/
We encourage you to read these newsletters in order to get a crystal clear understanding of what the threats are, what they will develop into, and how we can pray about these matters.
The commission of the God of Jacob
YHVH addressed Moses (starting in Deuteronomy 10) and gave him and Israel a holy charge:
- “Remember what Amalek did to you on the way when you came out of Egypt, how he confronted you on the way and attacked among you all the stragglers at your rear when you were tired and weary; and he did not fear God. So it shall come about, when YHVH your God has given you rest from all your surrounding enemies in the land which YHVH your God is giving you as an inheritance to possess, that you shall wipe out the mention of the name Amalek from under heaven; you must not forget” (Deuteronomy 25:17-19)
The God of Jacob takes the planning and violent deeds of Israel’s enemies very seriously. According to Genesis 12:3 these enemies are subject to the divine curse (see also Numbers 22:12; 23:7-8, 19-24), and their end will come at the hands of the army of Israel:
- Behold, a people rises like a lioness and like a lion it raises itself. It will not lie down until it devours the prey (Numbers 23:24)
- And I will inflict My vengeance on Edom by the hand of My people Israel. Therefore, they will act in Edom in accordance with My anger and My wrath. So, they will know My vengeance, declares the Lord YHVH (Ezekiel 25:14)
The total number of Israelis murdered by Hamas has increased as bodies are discovered and identified. It now stands at just under 1,350 babies, children, teenagers, women, men and pensioners. The total number of Israeli wounded in the ‘einsatzgruppen’ Nazi-like jihadi terror attacks stands at over 3,400.
A handful of Hamas terror squads were interdicted and eliminated near the Gaza Strip, within Israel proper. Hezbollah claimed responsibility for the firing of an anti-tank missile from Lebanon into Israel, killing an Israeli soldier, Staff Sgt. (res.) Matanya Elster, 22, of the 221st Battalion of the Carmeli Brigade.
A war government has been formed, bringing together Netanyahu’s coalition and Benny Gantz’s National Unity party. With three generals on board (present or former Chiefs of General Staff) on board, this move has found favor with the majority of Israelis as they prepare for the critical fast-approaching campaign – the ground invasion of Gaza and the total destruction of the jihadi terror group known as Hamas (as well as the second largest terror group in Gaza – Islamic Jihad).
How should we then pray?
- Pray for the complete destruction of Islamist terrorist invaders either on Israeli soil or in all of Gaza
- Pray for the physical rescue of the many Israelis (perhaps 165) who have been kidnapped
- Pray for divine wisdom and decisive strategy to be given to Israel’s leaders in every area of planning
- Pray that Lebanon’s leaders will be able to restrain Hezbollah from making moves which would be suicidal to that country
- Pray for the raising up of Ezekiel’s prophetic Jewish army throughout the earth
Your prayers and support hold up our arms and are the very practical enablement of God to us in the work He has called us to do.
In Messiah Yeshua,
Donations can be sent to:
FINAL FRONTIER MINISTRIES
BOX 121971 NASHVILLE TN 37212-1971 USA
Donations can also be made on-line (by PayPal) through: www.davidstent.org